The event was aimed at both academics and opera/media professionals. We welcomed participants from a full range of academic and professional backgrounds, including opera adminstrators, educators, composers, media artists, directors, performers, and media theorists and researchers.
The event consisted of a mixture of empirical / theoretical research presentations and case studies, with examples of artistic work with new media, including the presentation of two mini web operas commissioned specially for the event. The format included keynote presentations, panel discussions, practical demonstrations and workshops.
The aims of the event were:
- To enable exchange between academics and the professional opera world concerning current research and thinking about the media of the future, and impact of new media on those working in the arts.
- To outline a research strategy for new media between university researchers and professional opera organisations.
Three key questions we were considering:
- What opportunities and challenges are presented to opera companies by new modes of performance broadcast, and by new digital technologies and platforms?
- How will such modes of broadcast, and technologies and platforms, change the way we think about the concept of the operatic ‘audience’ and notions of ‘liveness’ and ‘event’?
- How might new modes of broadcast, technologies and platforms, impact upon new forms of opera for the digital age?
- Martin Barker (Emeritus Professor of Film and Television Studies, University of Aberystwyth)
- David Berry (Reader in Media, University of Sussex)
- Tony Followell (Head of Media, Royal Opera House)
- John Fulljames (Associate Director, Royal Opera House)
- John Holmes (Head of Marketing, English Touring Opera)
- Tim Hopkins (Opera Director; Research Fellow, Centre for Research in Opera and Music Theatre)
- Mary Agnes Krell (Lecturer in Media and Film Studies, University of Sussex)
- Lucy Lowe (Head of Education, Glyndebourne Opera)
- Chris Morris (Professor of Music, National University of Ireland)
- Sally Jane Norman (Professor of Performance Technologies University of Sussex)
- Jaakko Nousiainen (Director)
- David Pickard (Director, Glyndebourne Opera)
- Jørn Pedersen (Orchestra Director / Project Manager Media Production, Norwegian National Opera and Ballet)
- Martin Rieser (Professor of Digital Creativity, De Montfort University)
- Áine Sheil (Lecturer in Music, University of York)
- Robert Thomas (Independent media composer)
- Nick Till (Professor of Opera and Music Theatre, University of Sussex)
- Craig Vear (Reader in Performing Arts, De Montfort University)